Zucchini pasta with meatballs
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 slice whole-wheat bread
- ⅓ cup chicken stock
- 1 free-range egg, beaten
- 500g ostrich mince
- Flour, for coating
- 1 can tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ cup chicken stock
- Handful of Italian spices
- 2 cloves garlic
- Italian parsley, chopped, to garnish
2 zucchinis, peeled
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup water
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- In a large saucepan over a low heat, gently soften the onion in the oil. Stir in the garlic.
- Crumble the bread and soak it in the vegetable stock. Mash the bread together and set to the side.
- Mix together the egg, onion and garlic, and mince. Season to taste.
- Taking the bread and mince mixture, make 10-12 golf ball-sized meat balls. Lightly dust with flour.
- For the sauce, mix together the can of tomatoes, tomato paste, ½ cup chicken stock and Italian spices.
- Place the meat balls in an oiled baking pan, cover with the sauce and bake for 30 minutes or until just cooked and nicely coloured.
- Cut the zucchini into thin slices using a vegetable peeler. Cut the zucchini slices into thinner strips to resemble that of spaghetti.
- In a medium-sized pot over a medium heat, cook the zucchini in some olive oil for about a minute, then add the water and cook until the zucchini is soft (5 to 7 minutes).
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Toss together with the meat balls and serve.
Tagged with: Chickpea and carrot soup comfort food Cottage pie with cauliflower mash Zucchini pasta with meatballs