Protein iced coffee
This great-tasting cold drink combines three of our favourite ingredients – protein, coffee and chocolate. It’s a triple threat for those hot summer mornings when you’re looking for a caffeine boost without the heat, in addition to your morning dose of protein.
- Single or double shot of espresso (as per preference)
- ½ cup fat-free milk
- ½ cup almond milk (unsweetened)
- 1 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1 scoop whey protein powder, chocolate flavour
- 10 ice cubes
- Brew the espresso shot(s) and allow to cool.
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add more ice (thinner) or more almond milk (thicker) to achieve desired consistency.
What’s better than an icy, chocolately, blended coffee drink to cool you off and satisfy your sweet tooth on a hot day?
Making your favourite iced coffee recipe at home puts you in control of the ingredients and quantities to ensure a tasty beverage that doesn’t break the bank in terms of your daily calorie and sugar intake!
A store-bought iced coffee product such as a mocha frappacino can contain up to 450 calories (for a grande with full-cream milk) and up to 40g of sugar for unflavoured variants – that’s 10 teaspoons! Add flavouring and that increase to between 60-75g of sugar…
Iced coffee fact: Mazagran, a cold, sweetened coffee beverage that originated in Algeria around 1840, has been described as “the original iced coffee”. It was prepared with coffee syrup and cold water.