5 tips to keep your workout gear clean and odour free
Workout gear needs to be washed regularly to remove all the sweat, oils and minerals left behind after an intense workout. These garments, which are often pricey and made of fabrics that are light and delicate, need to be handled with care in the laundry to ensure they aren’t damaged.
Here are five tips to keep your workout gear clean and odour free for longer:
- DON’T USE TOO MUCH DETERGENT: Adding extra detergent to deal with the odour can actually worsens the problem. Your washing machine does not remove all the detergent after a wash cycle and excess detergent builds up in your clothing, trapping dead skin cells and creating an ideal environment for fungus. These chemicals can also irritate your skin when you sweat or may cause lingering smells.
- DON’T TUMBLE DRY: Rather use a laundry spin dryer such as the Spindel which uses spin power instead of heat to keep your favourite activewear looking new for longer as there is no stretching or shrinking. This process is also better able to remove leftover detergent and the minerals that can build up in your fabrics from sweating.
- DON’T WAIT TO WASH: Don’t leave workout gear in your bag after a gym session or race. Bacteria thrive in moist places, so wash your clothing immediately and dry them as quickly as possible.
- AVOID FABRIC SOFTENER: Fabric softeners damage anything that stretches, and they also sink into the weave of the fabric leaving behind a coating that traps smells.
- HAND WASH: Hand washing garments de-clogs fibres from sweat, salt, dirt and bacteria that can build up between the fibres and prevent them from breathing.