Boost your immune system with a Rooibos power smoothie
If you’re looking for a natural way to give your immune system a nutrient boost why not try this delicious, antioxidant-packed Rooibos smoothie.
Rooibos’ medicinal attributes have been confirmed by scientists around the globe, including in SA. The benefits include its ability to reduce cardiovascular disease and premature ageing. It has cancer-fighting properties and is a powerful immune-booster.
According to the Rooibos Council, Rooibos tea contains polyphenols that have anti-inflammatory, antiviral and antimutagenic qualities, which are organic chemicals that are known for their antioxidant capabilities. Polyphenols act as scavengers of free radicals throughout the body, which are detrimental by-products of cell metabolism that can cause a host of ailments. Aspalathin and nothofagin are two other vital antioxidants that Rooibos tea contains, making it a great beverage to boost your immune system and protect your body against all types of diseases and conditions.
- 1 banana
- 1 cup fresh pomegranate arils
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries and strawberries
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 tbsp whey or hemp protein
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp flaxseed or hemp oil
- 10-15 ml lemon juice
- 2-3 bags of rooibos tea
- 1½ cups boiling water plus 1 cup ice
- Put the rooibos bags in a teapot or heatproof jug and pour over the water. Steep for 8-10 minutes, then remove the bag. Leave to cool.
- Put the remainder of the ingredients and the tea into a blender and process until smooth. Sweeten (if necessary) to taste with honey and pour into glasses. Serve immediately.
Makes 2 medium servings
For more information about the health benefits of Rooibos visit www.sarooibos.co.za.